I recently discovered your blog and my favorite category is the style focus! I wonder if you can create a style focus for tartan in different styles? I’m a big fan of tartan and would love to see as many diversions as possible. Thanks!
Thank you Cheryl for your email! Tartan is a perfect choice for Fall fashion because they’re usually are made out of warm materials such as wool. Just like you, I’m also a tartan lover. I think they’re great because you can wear them to work or to parties! Here are some styles that I can think of and I hope you like all of them. Cheers!
1. Dressy Tartan
This is a nice option when you have concerts or parties to attend. Not so funky but definitely not boring at all. I love how it flatters your body instantly and gives you the sassy punk-chic look. Made of wool with cotton lining, you can absolutely rock any event when you put on this amazing dress!
1. McQ Tartan Wool Dress. US$795.
2. House of Harlow 1960 Red Cabochon Bangle. US$119.99.
3. Clarins Instant Eyeliner. US$26.
4. Rebecca Minkoff Vanity Cross body Bag. US$495.
5. DKNY Bangor Boots. US$160.
2. Gothic Tartan.
When I was a teen, I love dressing up gothic style and for the longest time I associated tartan with this particular fashion. I remember I have at least 3 tartan mini skirts in my closet and I love matching them with my Emily Strange shirts or plain white/black tees. This compilation reminds me of how I used to dress up when I’m out with friends for nice punk parties, sans the boots of course, it’s way too hot to wear boots here, I usually finished the look with my trusted Converse ; )
1. Old Navy Black Jack Women’s Turtleneck Top. US$17.94.
2. Betsey Johnson Royal Engagement Cross Pendant Necklace. US$45.
3. Fossil Maddox Black Cross body Bag. US$178.
4. McQ Wool Tartan Mini Kilt. US$540.
5. NARS Lipstick. US$24.
6. Nine West Verydisco Black Suede Boots. US$199.
3. Office Tartan.
Tartan is often associated with black and red, but lucky for us, designers are spreading their creative wings to be more playful in colors. One of them is this fancy combination of purple/black/teal/white from Vivienne Westwood. Simply pair it with pencil skirt, or in this case a wide-leg trousers and finish it with sexy pumps.
1. Vivienne Westwood Poppy Tartan Blouse. US$500.
2. Shiseido Purple Shimmering Cream Shadow. US$25.
3. Old Navy Black Jack Wide Leg Trousers. US$32.50.
4. Zac Posen Suede and Leather Tote. US$198.
5. Guess Purple Watch. US$95.
6. Aldo Kovac Dark Purple Pump. US$110.